Thursday, November 5, 2009

My resolve is fading

Okay so my last post was pretty passive-aggressive*. It went something like - if the powers that be don't want me to access popular websites like blogspot.com and youtube.com and facebook.com (yes, Facebook, for crying out loud!) then fine!

I won't access them.

And blogosphere will miss me.

And blogosphere will think how terrible it is that access to information isn't free here.

Only guess what? The blogosphere party is pretty much going right on without me. Dr. Cai narrowly avoided a couple of fistfights in his taxi in Singapore. Penelope got engaged in Wisconsin. Mr. Clark didn't win his bid to be mayor of Provo, dangit. Skrocki is leaving Sun, double dangit.

And all I got was a T-shirt that says, "I'm being passive aggressive."

It fits me very well, by the way.

And my blogosphere friends did feel bad that information wasn't free here but they were like, "It's your own fault for moving there."

[BTW I know like is so '80s. In the '90s we said all as in, "He was all, 'It's your own fault for moving there'. " But someone please tell me what we say here in the '00s so I can update my vocabulary.]

And although I thought free access might be restored in October it wasn't. So I don't see the light at the end of my passive-aggressive tunnel.

So if free access isn't restored soon, I'm afraid I will just find ways...

(*For the uninitiated, or mentally healthy, passive aggressiveness means you do exactly what someone tells you to do, hoping that they will regret it one day.)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Okay, so I will admit that I am irritated by you. You're an engineery-type genius person, you live in China (my not-so-secret dream), and you're a hilarious writer. I thought there was some cosmic rule that you can either be good at anaylitical, linear things or artsy, right-brained things. How come you can do both? I'm going to appease myself by calling you a cheater. Maybe you have a ghost writer penning your blog. Yea, that's it. That's what I believe!

Heather O.
(aka The jealous, ornery college friend)

Melanie Gao said...

Heather how can you be jealous of me? You live in the land of Milk & Honey, you are leading an inspired and courageous life, and your family is gorgeous! Plus you're funnier than me. I laugh out loud when I read your posts, seriously.