Tuesday, March 15, 2011

You have no idea how sweet I am

About four months ago I strapped on a pair of boxing gloves for the very first time at Vince Soberano's Black Tiger Fight Club and now I'm hopelessly addicted.

At first I was VERY uncomfortable with the idea of punching and hitting and kicking. I'm a pilates kind of girl. Swimming. Long walks in the park. Yoga. That's me.

But my friend Helen said I would love Vince's workouts so I decided to give it a shot. That first workout was hard on me because I was not in fighting shape at all. But I pushed myself, I sweated, I strained, I refused to quit.

And then Vince said, "Okay, great warm up. Let's start our workout."

I nearly died.

But now four months later I make it through the workouts with energy to spare. Vince has gotten me toned and shaped up in a way that I didn't think was possible after age 40. In fact I'm in the best shape I've ever been in.

Which is more a statement about the shape I've been in than my current one.

The gym is a little far from our house and I keep telling Buddy that when my current card expires I'll find a closer gym or class but in the end I keep going back to Vince.

I wish I knew how to quit him.

The other day my partner noticed something interesting, which I managed to catch on camera for you all.



Do you see that? I sweat in a heart shape! I am a seriously sweet and loving person.

8 comments:

Heather said...

I want a Vince. No, change that - I NEED a Vince! And how cool is it that you work out at The Black Tiger Fight Club (I'm mean really, that is kick ass.)

And as for sweating in a heart shape, I knew all along that you were much sweeter than the average bloke. You've proved that over and over girl.

Melanie Gao said...

Heather if you were in Tuscaloosa I would suggest that you check out Jay Deas' Sky Boxing Club. He got Deontay Wilder into Olympic fighting shape in a matter of months so who knows what he could do for us!

But Birmingham is probably a bit far...

Heather said...

Melanie,
David talks about Jay Deas all the time. He's also taken our J.D. to a couple of Jay Deas' boxing nights. They had a blast!

Dalton said...

I was too distracted by your flat, toned abs to notice the heart! Glad you pointed it out for me. Keep it up, you love the workout and that is not easy to find. Who cares if its far, you're worth it!

Melanie Gao said...

Dalton thanks so much for saying that at dinner the other night. You're absolutely right. I'll keep kicking. :)

Ulyana said...

ok, the boxing fever is spreading... i'm going to join... well, soon enough, maybe in two months, when I'm really ready.

Melanie Gao said...

Ulyana it is kinda hard on the ankles so do wait until you're ready. But then when you are - jump in!!! :)

Ulyana said...

Yeah, I've never done it, so it's good to know how hard it is on the ankles. I'll definitely wait.