Saturday, May 7, 2011

My niece hugging the "First Woman"



April 29th was "Take Our Daughters to Work Day" and for my sister Christi, that means she took her daughter to the White House. Christi is a White House correspondent. I'm a little bit proud of her.

I saw Mandy on Friday and she told me all about it. Her highlights were:

  1. The "necklace" they gave her at the door. That was her press pass, which you can see on the lanyard around her neck.
  2. Hugging the "First Woman". I thought about telling her she's called the "First Lady" but her expression was just so darn cute...
  3. Wondering why the press can't clap when the First Woman enters the room. We talked about how the press is supposed to remain impartial and that's hard if they're in the habit of cheering for lawmakers. Mandy was unconvinced but I love the fact that she's learning first hand about the importance of journalistic integrity. She might just follow in my sister's footsteps one day. If that happens I will straighten her out on the whole First Lady vs. First Woman business.

As for me, I love the way Mrs. Obama is holding that little girl's face in her hands.

She is taking her so seriously.

And cherishing her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So darling.